The COHV, its members and its partners would like to recognize the Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada “May is Motorcycle Safety Month Campaign”. The official campaign begins May 1st across Canada. Unofficially safety is a concern 365 days a year.
To a rider safety means many things. A pre-ride bike inspection should happen even before you turn the key or load the bike. Getting geared up with the proper protective riding equipment should happen before you thumb the starter button or kick your bike to life. Always dress for the slide, not just the ride! Physical fitness is a huge component of off road riding. Many big get-offs happen as a result of fatigue. Know when to say when and live to fight another day.
To be the best rider you can be, you need to practise your riding skills. The best racers in the world practise so there must be something to it. Take a riding school, you never stop learning. Break down your skills and practise them separately before you put the whole recipe together. Warm up before you attempt to set a new course record or win the long jump contest. Ride responsibly when in the presence of other off road recreational trail users.
When driving to the track or trail please be conscious of other road users you are sharing the road with. Spatial awareness is a great quality to possess. If you have gone into the first corner of a race elbow to elbow you have a high degree of spatial awareness. Make sure you carry it over to your daily driving.
They say it takes 21 days to make something a habit. Let’s make May your new habit for safety and awareness.
SAFETY PLEDGE CHALLENGE
- Go to http://www.motorcycling.ca/resources/ to print out your copy of the Pledge.
- Choose your Pledge and take your picture with the Pledge sheet.
- Go to http://www.motorcycling.ca/safety-campaign/ and make it official “Take the Safety Pledge”. Upload your smiley picture and place your pin on the map.
- Post your picture on your social media with the hashtag #MotorcycleSafetyPledge and use the @motorcyclistsconfederationofcanada symbol to share on the MCC social media site.
- Tag 5 friends in your post and challenge them to take the Pledge and repeat steps 1 through 5.